Flipbook

For my flipbook I chose Otto Mesmer as my artist to attempt to imitate.  The shorts that I watched were Feline Follies (1919), Felix Comes Back (1922), Felix Turns the Tide (1922), Comicalamities (1928), and False Vases (1929).

For my intro I used the same transition with the circle moving outward that Otto used in at least every short I watched. For the stalking and turning of the head I used 0:07 to 0:16 from the short Felix Comes Back. I got his facial expression of being scared at 5:40 to 5:51 and angry at 7:06 to 7:12 in the short Comicalamities. The dog walking from frame 16 to 22 is smooth. I achieved it by keeping the dog roughly the same size and maintaining somewhat of a straight line for the path. I still could’ve added more frames in between to make it even smoother. The box’s movements from frames 31 to 44 is smooth. I accidentally made the ball go backwards on frame 45 so I will have to go back and fix that. In order to fix it I will have to move the ball forward in just that one frame. The transition to the opening is also less smooth in frames 2 to 12. This was cause by me doubling the same image trying to make it seem smoother, but I will have to take the duplicates of them all out. The facial expressions and the head turning were hard to animate. The size that I made the character made it difficult to show detail on the face and head. Making the character larger would make it easier to animate. At the end of the animation from frames 49 to 52 it is hard to tell what is happening because it goes by too quickly. In order to make it clearer I would have to add extra frames between each of them. To show that the character was shocked I had the character stand up, turn around, and then quickly run away in the opposite direction. I also had the character put his tail down to show that he was scared/shocked. These actions were semi successful. Showing the character running away quickly from the object that moved showed the urgent need to get away. To make the character look even more shocked I could’ve animated the eyes to make them bigger. I could’ve also animated the body by making it more arched or have the hair stand up to help show that the character was shocked. One thing that is problematic in some frames the character becomes lighter and it’s hard to follow and see some defining qualities like the outline and facial expressions.

To make the character easier to animate I made the outline darker. I also sketched out the movements before on extra paper and traced the poses I thought looked the best. I also made the character a little bit larger. I kept the head larger to allow facial expressions to be read easier. After finishing each tracing I would darken each frame to help the character and actions stand out. One motion that improved was the transition into the animation, it is far more smooth than it was in the original animation. Another motion that improved was the turning of the characters head. It is much easier to be able to see the motion and it is less choppy.

Overall the final outcome was far better than the original animation. It improved as a whole because I darkened the animation, and I added more frames in between to make it smoother. I also was able to manipulate the character to create a cleaner transition in the animation. This made everything clearer and easier to understand.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Time-based and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s